Friday, June 7, 2013

I accidentally a whole novel for you but I resold it...

Here at Beerthralls we keep looking at the quality of our articles..

Ok, I admit it , we're really not writing for you. We're writing for us and hoping you get something from it.  In doing this we're (duh!) somewhere between frustratingly infrequent and prolific to the point of being a series of romance novels depending on the time of week/day/beer.  Case in point : the other thralls are glaring at me over their pints because every 10 days or so (some longer "or so"s than others) I keep sending them reminders about that post they were going to do...

In churning out pages of utter tripe (giving you a sense of my quality control standards) I staggered up against one of my pet peeves in gaming : reselling your toys and expecting some value.

From one of the least infuriating posts I've read on the subject:
"I know with warhammer the following prices are practically universally understood regarding the sell of used models...
NIB plastic - 70%
Non damaged metal figs - 70%
Assembled plastic figs - 50% (plastic figs assembled with plastic glue drops that even further)
There's always other minor details that change price like rarity, missing pieces, etc. etc.
Does warmahordes follow the same sort of set up?"

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Yes, there are retailers that help this. Hell, even some do commission sales. (Credit where its due.) The thought that your yard sale toys are going to keep value is a ridiculous bout of childishness.  How selfish is it to hope that the toys at a yard sale are going to get 70%MSRP?  Second hand clothes?  Flatware?

Its a game. Toys.  If you're selling it hopefully you're selling to someone trying to get into the game, not some maniac hoarding for some gaming apocalypse. If you *want* to sell to that maniac you can drop me a line... NO! NO! Bad me! 
Expecting to get a significant ROI on your hobby seems to me that its not really a hobby.









2 comments:

  1. There are a rare few who can turn their hobby projects into cash, but you need to be a master painter or a prolific sculptor to do so. Most people can expect about 50% of their invest back if the game is popular and the figs are painted, 60% maybe if the models are for a popular army. Things like unpainted figs, poorly painted figs, converted figs, and missing pieces can all drive the price way down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the idea that "ROI is hard" is the focus here.
    ROI has no reason to be an issue at all. The people in the business of selling painted works are not in the business of reselling miniatures.
    Should one be looking for ROI they should look to a much less volatile and subjective market.

    ReplyDelete