Saturday, July 6, 2013

Day 2, A Fresh Coat of Paint can Make the World go Round...



I am one of those picky types that seriously dislikes playing with unpainted models.  While this hasn't always been the case it has been a personal rule for me for the last several years. You have to admit it is pretty easy to get an army painted in a simple scheme, even just 3 colors (skin, armor, cloth/other details) and a wash. Then, once the army is complete go back little by little and add more detail.  That is definitely a good approach to painting large armies that your want to play with or even for just getting a few models on the table quick.

However getting an army base painted and on the table isn't what I am here to discuss today.  Today I want to discuss how easy it can be to give that base painted model a bit of TLC and Fab Five it up to the next level.

Take Kaya here:



She was base painted using a bit more then the basic 3 color method mentioned above and then washed with a GW Sepia wash.  Now if I wanted to I could base her up and she would be good to go on any table top or tournament tray around, but we want to add some more detail to her.  The first step is to give her a bit of highlight.  I start by reapplying the same colors I used to base coat the model before the wash, except this time I only apply the paint to the upper surfaces making sure to leave the recesses that were darkened by the wash dark.  I also picked out some detail on the inside of the cloak that I missed on the base coat layer.



Next we continue with the highlighting.  For the cloak I started buy adding a bit of a mid tone teal color to the coal black color I started with.  For the next layer I added a bit more, painting a smaller area then the time before.  Lastly I used a bit of the pure mid tone teal to line highlight the cloak.  For the red I highlighted with a mid tone red and then added some yellow to the paint for the final highlight.  For the stone I mixed the base warm grey that I used for the stone with some a khaki grey color.  I added a bit more for a second highlight, and then ended with a bit of the pure khaki grey.  For the leather I used a light brown khaki and for the hair I highlighted with a light maze yellow followed by a khaki white.  The flesh tone was highlighted using a mix of the base flesh tone and a light flesh tone.



However if you notice something is missing.  If you look closely you will see that she has some armor plates on her right forearm and shoulder, her knees and upper legs, around the gems on her staff, and on her chest.  I purposely left the armor plates and the gems on either end of her staff for last.  The reason for this is that for my circle stuff, I have been doing the runes and armor plates on the models with a glowing arcane blue edged with silver instead of the traditional green with gold trim.  I have found it easier to paint these parts last.

Here is a pic of the armor plates base coated with an ice blue white color:


Next, I wash all the plates with a wash made by mixing my arcane blue base color with lots of Matte Medium and Water:


Once that is dry, I go in with some bright silver and do some light highlighting, being careful to leave the arcane blue glow from the recesses:



Lastly I paint the gems building up from a deep purple red through a mid and bright red and finally to a yellow orange color.  I finished with a dot of the ice blue white color I used as the base coat for the armor in the deepest recess of the gem to represent a hint of shine coming off the glossy surface.



Finally I added a few glazed to the hair and leather to help add a bit more definition to those areas, painted up the base, cleared the model with matte sealer, and then when the sealer was dry added some tufts of grass.  I also applied some gloss varnish to the gems.



See how easy that was?  With just a bit of work you can easily up the quality of any model in a very short time.


0 comments:

Post a Comment